Korean cuisine is renowned for its bold and diverse flavors, with dishes ranging from fiery kimchi to savory bulgogi. One of the lesser-known gems in Korean cuisine is tteok, or rice cakes. These chewy, delightful morsels are not only delicious but also versatile, used in both sweet and savory dishes.
If you can’t tell by my other blog post, I love using the Instant Pot. In the recipe below I used the Instant Pot. I find this method convenient and efficient to have this meal prepared in no time. Also, check the video below!
Sweet and Spicy Rice Cakes
- 2 cups cylindrical Korean rice cakes tteok
- 1/4 cup chili crunch oil adjust to your spice preference
- 4-5 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Green onions chopped, for garnish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Add the Korean rice cakes to the pot.
- Set your Instant Pot to “Sauté” mode. Add the chili crunch oil and sauté the minced garlic and sliced onions for a few minutes until they become fragrant.
- Stir in the soy sauce and brown sugar. Sauté for another minute to combine the flavors.
- Pour in the 1 cup of chicken broth. Stir everything together.
- Close the Instant Pot and set it to pressure cook mode for 4 minutes at high pressure.
- After the cooking cycle is complete, perform a quick pressure release.
- You can adjust the spiciness by adding more chili crunch oil if needed. Stir well.
- Garnish the dish with chopped green onions and sesame seeds for added flavor and a pop of color.